THE HONORABLE JIMMIE V. REYNA INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AMERICAN INN OF COURT, Washington, DC
UNIVERSITY OF ST. THOMAS PRESIDENT’S COUNCIL, St. Paul, MN
AMERICAN BAR FOUNDATION, Chicago, IL
AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION, Chicago, IL
House of Delegates
Minnesota State Bar Association Delegate
- I served in the House of Delegates, which is where the control and administration of the $352 million non-profit association is vested. Founded in 1878, the ABA is one of the world’s largest professional organizations, with nearly 400,000 members and more than 3,500 entities.
Section of Intellectual Property Law
Chair, Patent Legislation Committee, August, 2014 – Present
- With over 23,000 members, the ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law is the largest organization of intellectual property lawyers in the world. I was appointed by the 2013-2014 Section Chair-Elect Lisa Dunner to serve as Chair of the Patent Legislation Committee. In that role, I am tasked with overseeing and assisting in the development of ABA policy on pending federal legislation relating to U.S. patent laws or affecting U.S. patent rights.
- Patent Term Adjustment Awards Section Policy Report and Resolutions; Medtronic, Inc. v. Boston Scientific Corp. Task Force Member; Obviousness-Type Double Patenting Section Policy Report and Resolution
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. v. Natco Pharma Ltd. Section Policy Report and Resolution; Comments on Strategy for American Innovation; Akamai v. Limelight Task Force Chair; License Agreements and Bankruptcy Task Force Chair; Innovation Act of 2015 Task Force Chair; Stays of Customer Suits Task Force Chair; Task Force on Legislation and Patent-Eligible Subject Matter
Chair, Specialized Intellectual Property Issues Division, December, 2015 – Present
- Appointed to oversee the activities of six substantive law committees, including University Intellectual Property Law Committee, Antitrust Interface with IP Rights Committee, Trade Secrets and Interferences with Contracts Committee, Design Committee, Promotion and Marketing Law Interface with IP Committee, and IP Transactions and Licensing Committee
Young Lawyers Division (“YLD”)
Assistant Council Coordinator, ABA YLD Council
- Responsible for general executive and administrative functions of the Division
District Representative of State of Minnesota and State of Wisconsin
- I was elected to serve as the District Representative of the State of Minnesota and the State of Wisconsin to the American Bar Association YLD Council, which is the governing body of the largest lawyer organization in the U.S. with over 130,000 members and 300 affiliated groups. As the District Representative, I was in charge of overseeing the administration of Disaster Legal Services, which is a Federal disaster assistance program operated by the American Bar Association pursuant to a memorandum of agreement with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a division of the Department of Homeland Security. Through this program, persons affected by major disasters–declared as such by the President of the United States–could become eligible to receive free legal assistance.
Project Director, Magna Carta Regional Summit
- Pursuant to a grant provided by the ABA Board of Governors for the purpose of subsidizing the cost of hosting regional summits, I secured a grant to promote and develop growth, education and leadership among the affiliates and their leaders.
Section of Litigation
Co-Chair, Business Development & Litigation Skills Subcommittee, Young Advocates Committee
- Service in a leadership position in the Section’s award-winning Young Advocates Committee, which serves as a resource for young litigators in their respective practices
NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF COMMISSIONERS ON UNIFORM STATE LAWS (“UNIFORM LAW COMMISSION”), Chicago, IL
ABA Section Advisor, Study Committee on Bad Faith Patent Litigation
- The Commission provides states with non-partisan, well-conceived, and well-drafted legislation that brings clarity and stability to critical areas of state statutory law. The Commission is best known for its work on the landmark Uniform Commercial Code, which was drafted in conjunction with the American Law Institute.
- The Executive Committee of the Commission authorized the appointment of the Study Committee on Bad Faith Patent Litigation to consider the need for and feasibility of enacting uniform or model state legislation concerning bad faith patent litigation. I was appointed as an ABA Section Advisor to represent an entity of the American Bar Association on the Committee.
AMERICAN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW ASSOCIATION, Washington, D.C.
Vice Chair, Law Practice Management Committee
- Responsible for the AIPLA Economic Survey: the most comprehensive and reliable review of incomes and demographics of intellectual property law attorneys and associated practitioners
Founding Editor-in-Chief, “The Academic Voice”
- I created a publication forum for law professors and others in the education community to freely express their thoughts and ideas. The forum is titled: “The Academic Voice” and strives to achieve a healthier and robust IP environment through active dialog between practitioners and academic professionals. The Academic Voice is distributed to members of the American Intellectual Property Law Association Education Committee and 900 law professors across the U.S. on a quarterly basis.
Member, 40th Annual Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition Drafting Team
- Participated in drafting materials for moot court competition participants